Follower

Dienstag, 23. Januar 2018

'You are my destiny': Simone de Beauvoir's mad passion for young lover revealed in letters

The French feminist icon Simone de Beauvoir’s “mad passion” for a lover 18 years her junior has been revealed in a letter published for the first time. The letter also shows that she was never sexually satisfied by her partner, the existentialist philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre. 

The writer, who condemned marriage as an “obscene” institution that enslaved women in her classic book The Second Sex, wrote to the film-maker Claude Lanzmann in 1953 saying she would throw herself into his “arms and I will stay there forever. I am your wife forever.” In De Beauvoir’s letter from Amsterdam published by Le Monde, she wrote: “My darling child, you are my first absolute love, the one that only happens once (in life) or maybe never. “I thought I would never say the words that now come naturally to me when I see you – I adore you. I adore you with all my body and soul ... You are my destiny, my eternity, my life.” The note is one of 112 love letters written to Lanzmann, the only man De Beauvoir ever lived with, which has been bought by Yale University. ... [mehr] https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jan/22/simone-de-beauvoirs-mad-passion-for-young-lover-revealed-in-letters

Keine Kommentare: